Slow cooker carnitas
- 3-4 lb. pork shoulder
- 1 Tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. cooking fat (preferably lard), plus more for frying/crisping meat
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 orange
- 1 beer
– Dry pork shoulder and rub with oregano, cumin, and 1 Tbsp. cooking fat. Place in slow cooker with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, the juice of the orange, and the beer. Set slow cooker to low for 8-10 hours, high for 6 hours.
– Remove meat and shred with forks.
– Skim fat from sauce and reduce to 1 1/2 cups.
– Fry pork in a fat (preferably lard) until crispy, drizzle with juices.