Vegetarian “meatloaf” from Carrie Kilman
From Vegetarian Nights by Bonnie Mandoe
* 1 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
* 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup seasoned fresh bread crumbs (make your own by putting wheat bread in the food processor, plus a dash or two of garlic salt)
* 1 cup chopped walnuts
* 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
* 1 cup finely chopped onion
* 1 cup finely grated carrot
* 1/2 cup finely minced green pepper
* 5 beaten eggs
* 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
* 1 to 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
* 1/2 tsp. black pepper
* 1/2 tsp. thyme
* 1/2 tsp. marjoram
* 1/2 tsp. sage
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Use a food processor to chop the vegetables and the breadcrumbs into fine pieces, for maximum meatloaf-like texture. Drain excess water from veggies.
Mix all ingredients and press into buttered 9-inch loaf pan.
Bake 50 to 60 minutes until the center is firm and the top has browned.
(Using the food processor for the veggies can result in extra liquid; if so, add an extra 10-15 minutes to fully cook. Use the fork test — it should come out clean, but probably a little wet.)